A financial bridge until you reach normal AHV retirement age

Bridging benefits

Are you retiring, or being made to retire, early? This entails profound changes. AHV/IV benefits are substantially reduced, for example. Bridging benefits can help.

Money until retirement

If your employer has included bridging benefits, and if you are at least 60 years old, you will receive 75% of the maximum basic AHV old-age pension that applies upon retirement. If you are dismissed prematurely for age-related reasons, bridging benefits can already be paid from the age of 58. If your job is eliminated due to restructuring, benefits can even be paid out from the age of 55.

The bridging benefits for 2023 amount to CHF 22,050. The bridging benefits for insured persons who are married or in a registered partnership are increased by 30% to a maximum of CHF 28,665, unless the supplement for spouses or registered partners is explicitly waived. The bridging benefits for part-time employees are reduced according to the degree of employment prior to retirement. Please note: Your employer can stipulate that you must have been working at the company for at least five years before bridging benefits will be paid out. They can also rule out the supplement for spouses or registered partners. Ask your employer what your options are.

Good to know: Bridging benefits can be thought of as replacing a person's salary until AHV benefits are paid out upon reaching normal AHV retirement age.

It goes without saying that these kinds of benefits also need to be financed. Your employer pays for 60% of the contributions, and you make up the other 40%. For the insured person's share of the financing, the entire sum of the bridging benefits until normal AHV retirement age is reached is calculated and deducted from the relevant savings balance. The annuity is calculated on the basis of the reduced amount of savings.  

For example

Frequently asked questions regarding bridging benefits in connection with old-age pensions

Scroll Top Link